The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is an application protocol for distributed, collaborative, and hypermedia information systems. HTTP is the foundation of data communication for the World Wide Web. Hypertext is structured text that uses logical links (hyperlinks) between nodes containing text.
- The term HTTP was coined by Ted Nelson.
- The standard port for HTTP connections is port 80.
- HTTP/0.9 was the first version of the HTTP, and was introduced in 1991.
- HTTP/1.0 is specified in RFC 1945, and was introduced in 1996.
- HTTP/1.1 is specified in RFC 2616, and was officially released in January 1997.