Top 10 Best Countries for Medical Tourism Healthcare – The number of medical tourists to all countries in 2017 was estimated at 14-16 million. x2Patients Beyond Borders. Medical tourism statistics and facts. … Google ScholarSee all References The number of US medical tourists and the number of medical tourists in the world is expected to increase by 25% per year.
Medical tourism is a growing sector in India. In October 2015, India’s medical tourism sector was estimated to be worth US$3 billion
Medical Tourism Destinations in the World
Asia has topped in gaining medical tourist attraction while Thailand has become world’s biggest medical tourism destination. Thailand welcomes 3 million medical tourists every year to generate huge revenue of $3.73 billion.
The estimates of these medical tourists range from $50 billion to $65 billion last year in 2014. The growth is expected to continue to about 20%. The correct statistics are not clear yet. However, these estimates show a potential for medical tourism in years to come.
The current statistics of medical tourism show that 6 billion people from all over the world travel from one country to another. People who travel within the country for medical tourism are more than 10 billion per year.
- In 2013, about 2.5 million patients from foreign countries were reported to travel to the hospitals in Thailand. More than 520,000 international patients received medical treatment in Thailand.
- Singapore is the most thriving medical tourism center in the South East. Approximately, 850,000 medical tourists were reported to arrive in Singapore, back in the year 2012.
- In Latin America, Panama and Costa Rica to be more specific are becoming well-known tourist spots for medical travelers.
- In 2011, about 40,000 foreign patients sought help in Costa Rica.
- Mexico being close to the US is now one of the top rated medical tourism destinations. Nearly, 40,000 to 80,000 seniors of America spend their retirement age in Mexico. A considerable number of elderly receives care, health care and nursing.
- Malaysia is also a famous destination for medical tourists and travelers. In 2013, 770,134 medical travelers were reported in Malaysia.
- Another hot spot for medical tourism is India. In 2012, 166,000 international patients were reported in the third world country due to an upgraded medical infrastructure and skilled doctors.