Digital marketing is a general term for any the effort by a company to connect with customers through electronic technology, including email, geolocation and mobile marketing, social media, online customer communities, webinars and other video-based content.
What is Digital Marketing?
Consumer Behavior is Trending Towards Digital – Newspaper readership is in decline. Yellow pages are almost non-existent. Customers are spending more time online and on mobile, therefore more of your marketing efforts should be digital too.
Low Barrier to Entry – Accessible to small businesses. Unlike traditional methods like television and outdoor advertising which requires significant budget; digital marketing can be implemented by any size organization.
Measurable – Able to measure how effective marketing tactics are at achieving objectives. Although not foolproof (no method of measurement is foolproof), much more credible than traditional media metrics.
Cost Effective – Not all digital marketing tactics require significant budget. As an example social media marketing & content marketing doesn’t require budget just creativity and consistency.
Learn Digital Marketing Step by Step.. .
Benefits and importance of digital marketing
There are many advantages of digital marketing, including:
1. It’s more affordable to deploy than traditional marketing and advertising
2. Digital marketing goes from planning to execution more quickly.
3. Digital marketing gives fans/viewers/readers a chance to share your content.
4. Digital marketing campaigns are easier to attach to other campaigns.
5. Digital marketing campaigns have longer shelf lives.
6. It’s easier to change or stop a digital marketing campaign after it starts.
7. Digital marketing gives the brand more time and space to tell its story.
Specific benefits of digital marketing include:
- Global reach – a website allows you to find new markets and trade globally for only a small investment.
- Lower cost – a properly planned and effectively targeted digital marketing campaign can reach the right customers at a much lower cost than traditional marketing methods.
- Trackable, measurable results – measuring your online marketing with web analytics and other online metric tools makes it easier to establish how effective your campaign has been. You can obtain detailed information about how customers use your website or respond to your advertising.
- Personalisation – if your customer database is linked to your website, then whenever someone visits the site, you can greet them with targeted offers. The more they buy from you, the more you can refine your customer profile and market effectively to them.
- Openness – by getting involved with social networking and managing it carefully, you can build customer loyalty and create a reputation for being easy to engage with.
- Social currency – digital marketing lets you create engaging campaigns using different types of rich media. On the internet these campaigns can gain social currency – being passed from user to user and becoming viral.
- Improved conversion rates – if you have a website, then your customers are only ever a few clicks away from completing a purchase. Unlike other media which require people to get up and make a phone call, or go to a shop, digital marketing can be seamless and immediate.
Together, all of these aspects of digital marketing have the potential to add up to more sales.
Challenges Facing Digital Marketers
- Proliferation of digital channels. Consumers use multiple digital channels and a variety of devices that use different protocols, specifications and interfaces – and they interact with those devices in different ways and for different purposes.
- Intensifying competition. Digital channels are relatively cheap, compared with traditional media, making them within reach of practically every business of every size. As a result, it’s becoming a lot harder to capture consumers’ attention.
- Exploding data volumes. Consumers leave behind a huge trail of data in digital channels. It’s extremely difficult to get a handle on all that data, as well as find the right data within exploding data volumes that can help you make the right decisions.